Wednesday, July 1, 2009

A couple last thoughts

What if there were a Franz Kafka fan fiction site? No one would be able to get to it.


The final part of the article about the Christian fear of Harry Potter is nearly too inane to comment on. Not that it wasn't interesting to read about, but I mean the self-righteous religious attitude overall. Among the liberal Christian "discernment" group that favors reading H.P., there was this far reaching example of open mindedness extraordinaire: "Neopaganism is a growing reality in our post-Christian world, and our children need to be able to meet its challenge with a quiet confidence in the gospel. They need to know the difference between fantasy literature and the occult." My question is, when these kids read the Bible, are they able to distinguish the same?

5 comments:

  1. I love the idea of a Kafka fan fiction site, Tom: "Hi! I'm Susy K., and, yes, I'm related to K. himself. While trapped in my meaningless bureaucratic nightmare of a job, I had an existential crisis that, to cut to the chase, ended in me being turned into a gigantic dung beetle. I sure hope my dad doesn't throw any more fruit at me today... it's such a drag when that happens."

    I think I see a new subgenre in the works!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Suzy. I know what you mean. Gregor has been acting very strange as of late, and I'm quite upset. Do you want to go for a trolley ride in the country soon and blossom into butterflies? I had a dream last night and everything was grey. Stay connected pleases since so much seems, so, disconnected lately. Greta

    ReplyDelete
  3. And then I became a giant cockroach. Total. Bummer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEyFH-a-XoQ

    ReplyDelete
  5. Re: last sentence -- Increasingly within the more mainline evangelical (read: non-fundy) Christian community, I'd argue that yes, that is addressed. These folks take the Bible seriously, they want their leaders fluent in multiple languages and academic discourses, and they are willing to sponsor dialogue about how to interpret the scriptures they hold sacred. Of course, when you look at the more vocal and visible far-right, it's hard to imagine that any of that is true.

    ReplyDelete