Monday, June 29, 2009

Final Thoughts on the Rice Piece: DJ's and Writing, 2nd of two posts

I've finished reading the Rice piece now. There are a few points I'd like to bring up.

"To cry theft is to refuse to recognize the mix's role in new media based expression and how that role may destabilize rhetorical and pedagogical expectations" (Rice, 68). I am puzzled at his defense of plagiarism, almost a dismissive attitude toward it. Rice seems to want to identify writing and "the mix" as the same thing. It is not. Yes, the DJ can be a writer, no doubt. He may write his mixes, and the introduction of the Mellotron made it possible for musicians to sample all kinds of previous sounds and songs and borrow them for a new composition. But, note: that is music. When Public Enemy samples something from Frank Sinatra, there is a built in acknowledgment that it is borrowed and is being mixed into a new song by Public Enemy. No one is thinking that Public Enemey is trying to pretend that the Sinatra part is theirs! But in writing, when a student borrows ideas for a history research paper and does not acknowledge the source and passes the information off as his own, that's different. In this case, the writer, knowingly or not, is placing his or her credit on that information.

"The appropriation-motivated mix is not recognized as human nature in the average writing course because the emphasis is often on salvaging an assumed authorial authenticity; students are asked to maintain singular identities distinct from their writing" (69). Is there something wrong with salvaging an authenticity? If we mix to the point of the loss of authorial authenticity, do we risk turning individual authorship into a colorless, homogenous, formless stew of language and image without anything authentic left--no singular mark of identity? Furthermore, I contest the idea that mixing is anything new. The technology to mix in the writing medium is greater and more exciting than ever, but it has always been done, and it has always been done in every medium. Religion may be one of the first sources, what with all the prophets and such playing with our notions of time, predicting the future, and the future when it comes referencing the past, the writers of scripture mixing songs and poems and narratives and history and science all into one! Imagine. Now, mixing is more dramatic, more obvious, and maybe potentially more entertaining than ever, and we should embrace the concept. But again, mixing has always been done, sampling has always been a part of writing; what is new is the technology to provide hyper mixing.

Rice's excitement about alter egos in the hip hop world seems to overlook the fact that each and every time we write, we write with a different identity. Okay, when my students turn in their work, they sign their names, usually, to it. But, in the range of discouse, a student who writes an analytical paper on the Great Gatsby and then the next day pens a spoken word poem for his spoken word open mic night is most definitely mixing in different identities, whether he or she stills goes by the same name or not. What's in a name? What we are aware of as writing teachers are the different voices, the different discourses.

What do I agree with in this article? I agree that mixing is a good thing in writing. I agree that the powers that be often appropriate the cool as a means of maintaining control or equally as a means to actually make socially responsible progress--depending on the motive. I agree that "using appropriation within the rhetoric of cool allows writers to write outside of the limitations of student writing" that allow them to further enjoy other forms of writing. I agree wioth much in principle. But, I find the article narrow, dismissive of core writing, dismissive of the process of mixing that is a form of thinking that is now massively stimulated by technology but that has always been a part of creativity. I also believe in coherence and clarity, which may come in many forms, including incoherence and unclarity in a Zenish way--if it works, it works. If it doesn't, it won't.

4 comments:

  1. What do you think of this passage: "...when working with appropriation, it's not enough to simply cut and rearrange words or images. Writers also must remiagine the logic of structure as well..." Isn't Rice addressing your concerns here? That we cannot simply rip off an essay online and turn it in as our own, but rather, use produced writing to reimagine, rethink, redo--to make our own unique text(s)?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Back to Amy: Comment to your comment: Well, yes, I guess he is addressing the concern--I definitely agree with reimagining the logic of structure. I have no problem with that; changing structures is a necessity and an inevitable process. What I resist in Rice's piece is perhaps my own resistance to change. I recognize that and embrace it since I do not want change to occur without the proposals being challenged. I do fear disintegration of voice--to the point where individual indentity becomes collaged to the point of unidentifiable authenticity. I wasn't sure how to post this comment back to your page, so I put it here. See you.

    T.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I see it, Tom. Here works.
    I see what you're saying and I agree completely on a practical level; I like Rice's theory, but can't fully imagine it practice, esp. in the high school English classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some things I have heard and used so often, I simply forget that they are not mine. In that same vein, I honestly remember being disappointed when I realized that many of my mother's tidbits of wisdom were not original.I was appalled when I learned from my peers that their parents had also walked miles to school with cardboard soles in their shoes. Surely they had plagiarized my mother's experience, the one experience that would for years qualify her to place guilt on me for asking for another pair of saddle oxfords so I could walk thirteen blocks to school.
    Is it simply acknowledgement (or lack of) that constitutes plagiarism? Who can copy and who can't? Where's the line? If I stand in front of class and sing a mix of songs that I have "appropriated," I'm good, but if I present a mix of lessons (from the net) or an essay, I'm plagiarizing. Okay, both are examples of plagiarism, but the written one earns a penalty.

    ReplyDelete