Thursday, June 25, 2009

First Post in Response to Yancey article

I will start with Yancey's conclusion: "In helping create writing publics, we also foster the development of citizens who vote, of citizens whose civic literacy is global in its sensibility and its communicative potential, and whose commitment to humanity is characterized by consistency and generosity as well as the ability to write for purposes that are unconstrained and audiences that are nearly unlimited."

I think this is a noble endeavor. It is a great objective, and it will be one that I try to remember to keep at the forefront of my own teaching. One thought that comes to mind about the quotation, other than its noble intention, is that it seems that this objective has always been at the core of teaching writing, perhaps forever. Regardless of the advancements of technology, helping to create writing publics and to foster democratic citizenship has I think always been part of the teaching agenda.

The point that Yancey makes is perhaps the same one that occurs each and every time a society hits a new turning point in technological advancement. When hieroglyphics evolved from picture writing to phonic symbols, new possibilities for spreading the power of communication was also most likely urged. Now, Yancey seems to suggest, with the proliferation of electronic media and the eyeblink speed of world-wide communication via the web and other media possibilities, we must again adapt to the times and incorporate what is becoming main stream into our curriculum so that we as teachers don't become irrelevant.

It is only this year that I have begun to feel like I am swimming up current in the tech-river. I do feel behind now, and it does affect my effectiveness. However, that said, I want to just share this very short anecdote. In the copy room last semester in school, I expressed to a colleague this feeling of falling behind. And he said, "Yes, maybe, but we have to remember that now matter what, teaching still boils down to asking good questions and soliciting good answers. Teaching is still about an idea, no matter how we get there." I take this notion too to be true. The core is the same. To update delivery method is important, but it is not the most important. The idea at the heart of the matter is still what counts the most.

No comments:

Post a Comment